Thursday, July 30, 2009

What are you going to be when you grow up?


A couple of years ago I went to a Once Upon a Family home party. It was amazing and I just about purchased everything they offered. Luckily, I couldn't afford everything. What I did purchase was a handprint book. The idea was that every year when my kids were starting school, I was going to put their handprints in the book and write down what they were going to be when they grew up. Sounds easy enough. Guess what? That book is totally empty and my son is going to be in second grade. He had two years of preschool and not one handprint is in that book. The pages are totally and perfectly blank.

Good intentions, right?

Last year, I was disappointed with myself for missing the opportunity to start a great tradition. I was totally excited about what I came up with. It is a realistic way to capture the moment and future aspirations. I scoured the craft stores looking for a small chalk board AND some chalk. The chalk part was a little harder to find than the chalk board.

On the morning of the first day of school, as I was snapping the obligatory before school pictures, I asked my son to fill out the chalk board. I had written "When I grow up I want to be..." and the rest was blank. I asked him to write his name below it and the year. As you can see, I had been doing a lot of crafts with him last summer. He meant that he wanted to be an artist kind of painter;)

So much easier than filling out yet another scrapbook. Just takes a second and a push of the button to capture.

Other pictures I take on the first day of school are:
All his school supplies lined up,
Him with his backpack on walking towards his class,
With his teacher,
The classroom and any notes on the board,
Little brother,
His lunch,
His name tag on his desk...etc.

I'd love to hear what your must do pictures are for the first day of school?
Anjeanette

***

Edited to add the picture from this year. He wrote that he wanted to be "Like my Dad". Melted hearts for sure!


2 comments:

Free Art Printables said...

That is such a cute idea! I would love to so something like that! Jen

twinkle teaches said...

That is an adorable photo and I love the list of 1st day pics to take. :) tina